Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Extended Family

Picture this:

early morning walk along the shore of Coronado Island.

Sitting down on a slightly damp bench to enjoy the view, scenery, moment.

The morning ferry picks up commuters from Coronado Island to take to San Diego...
An  older lady is standing nearby, so I strike up a conversation.

She tells me that she is originally from Manhattan.

I remark that that San Diego is quite a long way from New York.

And, then she makes this astonishing statement:

"I have only two living relatives and I figure one of them will have to bury me!"

TWO LIVING RELATIVES!!!!!!!????!???!???

Truly, I cannot wrap my mind around that incredible statement.  

Last night, 6 relatives came over for a short visit.

Over the weekend, there were 18 of us gathered for a significant event.

This morning, I will be with 4 relatives to bid farewell to the "other missionary."

I cannot even imagine having only TWO LIVING relatives.

I have so many living relatives that we could populate a small state.

And, I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment